During her eighty-year career, beginning with her launch in 1841, the Charles W. Morgan made a record 37 voyages. Outlasting all of her type, she is now the treasured hallmark of Mystic Seaport. She was launched from the New Bedford shipyard of Jethro and Zacharia Hillman, and named after her principal owner, Charles Waln Morgan. Her first voyage was in September of 1841, under the command of Captain Thomas A. Norton. In 1863 she was sold to J. and W.R. Wings, who were to be her principal owners for the next fifty-three years. After a brilliant whaling career, she returned from her last voyage in May of 1921. At the age of 100 she was acquired by Mystic Seaport and is now completely restored and open to the public. In 1967 the Charles W. Morgan was declared a National Historic Landmark.