The arms are those of Master impaling Legh for Sir John Streynsham Master (1640-1724) and his wife Elizabeth Legh. Sir John Master was born on 28 October 1640 and was the eighth son of Richard Master of East Langdon, Kent and his wife, Anne, eldest daughter of Sir John Oxenden of Dene, Kent. The Masters and Oxendens were established Kent families who were involved from an early stage with the East India Company. Sir John Master entered the Company's service in 1659 and in 1670 successfully defended Suratt against Sevagee and his army with a small garrison for which action he received a gold medal. He returned to England in 1672 and married Diana, daughter of Sir Thomas Bendyshe of Brumsted, Essex. In 1675, he was appointed to the Governorship of Madras and during his office greatly extended the Company's trade and founded the Fort Church of St. Mary's at Madras, the first English Church in India. In 1690 he married Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Legh of Lyme, Cheshire. In 1692, Master purchased the Codnor Park estate in Derbyshire and held prominent positions in that area, including High Sheriff of Derbyshire in 1711. He died on 28 April, 1724, at New Hall, Lancashire, the seat of his eldest son.
A pair of silver-gilt two-handled covered bowls with the same arms and marked by John Bodington in 1699 were sold Christie's, London, 24 November 1971, lot 48.
CAPTION: Sir John Streynsham Master (1640-1723), by John Riley