BOUGHTON MONCHELSEA PLACE
The history of the house and estate dates back to before the Norman Conquest when it was called Boltone, later Bocton meaning clearing in a beech wood. By the end of the twelfth century it was in the possession of the Montchensies from whom the second part of the name derives. Ownership of the house then passed by inheritance or sale until it was bought by Robert Rudston in 1551 who transformed the medieval hall in size with the addition of wings and courtyards. Boughton underwent further alterations under Ingram Rider and his son Thomas who inherited the house in 1786. At a time when the taste for "gothic" and the "romantic" had superseded the eighteenth century admiration for classic line the Rider's gave the windows on the main front a "gothic" air by the introduction of tracery and added Regency Gothic pillars to the hall and the dining room. This "brickwork" casket would undoubtedly have appealed to such antiquarian sensibilities. In 1847 Thomas Rider died childless and in the years that followed Boughton was left furnished but unoccupied. In 1903 the house was leased to Lieutenant-Colonel G.B. Winch and then bought by Michael Winch in 1960. The inventory of 1990, shows that many items were already in the house when George Winch took the lease in 1903.