The inspiration for this plaque derived from various eighteenth century tabletops designed by Antoni Cioci and produced by the Grand Ducal Manufactory (see A.M. Giusti, Hardstone Decoration in Furniture and Decorations, London, 1992, pp. 102-107). As the eclectic taste of the nineteenth century dictated, the design represents a melange of popular motifs used by the court workshops, and demonstrates a revival of Neoclassic themes. The table can be compared with other products of the private Florentine workshops, including a table in the Gilbert collection (see A.M. Massinelli, The Gilbert Collection: Hardstones, London, 2000, no. 36). A table top with a similar still-life scene can be seen ot the Ugolini stand at the 1900 Paris exhibition (see photograph to left).