Under Marie-Etienne Nitot (1750-1809) and his son François-Regnault Nitot (1779-1853), the Nitot firm became the main supplier of jewellery and jewelled objects to the Emperor Napoleon. Among numerous imnportant commissions were the Consular sword of 1802 which really established the firm's reputation, and the Papal tiara which Nitot himself presented to Pope Pius VII on behalf of the Emperor. In addition they supplied the Empresses Josephine and Marie-Louise as well as much of the Imperial family with jewellery. Under the subsequent ownership of Jean-Baptiste Fossin (1785-1848) and his son Jean-Jules François Fossin (1808-1869) between teh Restoration of the Bourbons and the July Monarchy, the firm was the most successful of its time. Under subsequent ownership of the Morels and then the Chaumets the firm remained one of the leading Parisian jewellers. (For a detailed history of the firm see D. Scarisbrick, Chaumet Master Jewellers Since 1780, Paris, 1995).