The Parisian firm of Graux-Marly was established in 1845, with premises at 37, boulevard du Temple. In 1849 the company won a bronze medal at the Exposition Universelle and this was bettered six years later by a first-class medal for the "bronzes d'art et d'ameublement" manufactured at its new and larger atelier at 41, boulevard du Temple. In 1862, to satisfy the continuing need for greater space, the Maison Graux-Marly moved once more, this time to 8, rue du Parc Royal. Here they produced chimney-pieces, garnitures, chandeliers, vases, sculpture and table wares, exporting 35 of their total output. The business was taken over by Graux-Marly's sons, on the retirement of their father in 1864. A visitor to the firm's atelier commented in the 1880 Catalogue illustre du Salon on the presence there of "...un grand vase decoratif avec bas-reliefs de Fremiet...". It is possible that the present vase, cast in high relief with scenes of a deer family, reminiscent of Fremiet's work, is an example of that particular model by one of the leading animalier sculptors in 19th century France.