Roudillon is recorded as being an established tapissier-ébéniste in Paris in 1844. The business grew rapidly and in 1853 they took over the firm of tapissiers Ringuet-Leprince, and set up ateliers at 9, rue Caumartin. The firm was represented at all of the major exhibitions of the second half of the 19th century, frequently winning awards. In 1880 Roudillon sold his business to Renault & Cie., which in turn became Alavoine & Cie. in 1890 (see D. Ledoux-Lebard, Le Mobilier Français du XIXe Siècle, Paris, 1984, pp. 563-4). Although the fine craftsmanship and eclectic style of the present lot would suggest an earlier date of manufacture, the inclusion of 'Alavoine & Cie' in the maker's stamp indicates that it was made, or at least retailed, no earlier than 1890.