The firm of Grohé was established in the mid 1820s in Paris by Guillaume and Jean-Michel Grohé. They exhibited at the major exhibitions throughout the 19th century and supplied furniture to the French Royal households, as well as to Queen Victoria. Following Guillaume's retirement in 1861, the younger brother Jean-Michel managed the business until 1884, when it ceased trading.
A similar haut meuble d'appui by Grohé, with trellis marquetry panels is illustrated in D. Ledoux-Lebard, Le Mobilier Franais du XIX Siècle, Paris 1984, p. 242.
Another large meuble d'appui, also by Grohé, with curved trellis parquetry panels, was sold in these Rooms 30 May 1996, lot 41.