Although not signed, the authorship of this cylinder bureau may likely be by Georges-François Alix (d.1906). The casting of the ormolu mounts is well executed and typical of his work. The quality of his metal work was of such a standard that Linke used several Alix moulds after 1906.
The brass plaque records that the the cylinder bureau was from The Earl of Beaconsfield to Sir Henry Peek. Although they sat at opposite sides of the House, it was likely that they had a mutal admiration for each other. It is interesting to note that Peek became a member of parliament the year following Disraeli's Second Reform Act of 1867, which doubled the electorate.