The firm established in Paris in 1847 by Paul Sormani, exhibited consistently at the International shows during the second half of the century. In 1867 the firm moved to 10, rue Charlot. Following the founders death in 1877, it continued under the direction of his wife and subsequently his son. After the Great War they merged with Thiebaux and moved their premises to 134, boulevard Haussmann, where it continued until 1934.
A related cabinet by Sormani is illustrated in D. Ledoux-Lebard, Le Mobilier Français du XIX Siècle, Paris, 1989, p. 587.