In the second half of the 17th century, and through to the middle of the 18th century, Strasbourg was the centre for the production in the Alsace region of Ratsbechers, or Corporation beakers, such as the present example. They were made, reviving an earlier custom, with the intention of being given to new members of the City Council. Examples exist from many towns in the region, most which were presumably too small to have had their own working silversmiths.
The arms of Fort Louis, named after the 17th century fort around which it was built, can be found on at least two other examples. One is the collection of the Museum of Strasbourg (exhibition catalogue, Deux siécles d'orfévrerie á Strasbourg, Strasbourg, 2004) and another sold Christie's Dusseldorf, 21 March 1972, lot 249. Those two examples, both also by Imlin, are dated 1712 and 1714 respectively, thus making the present example the earliest of the known examples engraved for Fort Louis.