Jules Auricoste was a student at Ecole d'Horologerie de Paris. This institution was founded in 1881 at Faubourg du Temple, moving in 1888 to Rue Manin. The firm of Auricoste continued as one of Paris' premier clockmakers until after the Second World War. This exhibition chronometer movement is believed to be Jules Auricoste's masterpiece on leaving the Ecole d'Horologerie. It has never been fitted with a dial, thus allowing all the motion work to be viewed.