The design for this bench is illustrated in the 1858 Barbezat & Cie Fonderies du Val D'Osne catalogue, under 'Bancs de Jardin', plate 251. The industry of producing cast iron garden ornament and furniture was at its height in France during this period, with numerous Parisian foundries producing a wealth of garden furniture in this ideal medium. The Societe Anonyme du Val d'Osne was no exception, indeed being responsible for producing some of the finest quality workmanship in the field. The Company changed ownership twice in the late 1860's, from the well-renowned firm of Barbezat, to the Societe Anonyme Val d'Osne in 1870.
John Davis, Antique Garden Ornament, Antique Collector's Club, Woodbridge Suffolk 1991. Appendix II, p.350.