Until sold in 1953, this chest formed part of the remarkable collection of the Earls of Ashburnham at Ashburnham Place in Sussex, where the family had lived since 1150. The house was rebuilt in 1675-6 after damage in the mid-17th Century English Civil War. It was remodelled again in 1760.
The dispersal of the collection in 1953 was dramatic as it included not only an accumulation of English furniture but also a superb collection of French furniture acquired by the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Earls. Amongst this was the bureau plat by André-Charles Boulle that was sold from the collection of M. Hubert de Givenchy, Christie's Monaco, 4 December 1993, lot 68.