This table, with it lappeted club legs, finished on all sides, closely relates to several small mahogany chamber tables with moulded tops and re-entrant corners, supplied to Sir Robert Walpole (d.1745) at Houghton Hall, Norfolk, circa, 1725. They were probably used as dressing-tables in the bedchambers on both the ground and second floors. They seem to correspond in number to the dressing-tables listed in 1792, and are what Thomas Chippendale would later describe as a 'Chamber table'. One of the Houghton tables is illustrated in situ, in the Hunting Hall at Houghton in A. Moore, (ed.) Houghton Hall, The Prime Minister, The Empress and the Heritage, London, 1996, pp. 90 and 92, no. 8.
A longer version of this type of table, with a drawer to one end, was sold anonymously, in these Rooms, 17 March 1997, lot 92.