The George II mirrored bureau-cabinet, with fine figured veneer, bears the cabinet-maker's trade-label of John Belchier (d. 1753) that incorporates a cartouche-enclosed 'Sun', which served as the shop-sign of his St. Paul's Churchyard premises (C. Gilbert, Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture, 1700-1840, Leeds, 1996, p. 85, figs. 65, 66 and 67).
With its hollowed and moulded cornice and single indent-cornered mirror, the bureau relates to another of his labelled cabinets, and to one bearing the label of Antrobus and the date 1730 (Gilbert, ibid., figs. 63 and 23). The former, which is supported on similarly serpentined bracket feet, bears his early medallioned label and is inscribed 'Made by John Bel-Chier at the Sun in St. Pauls Church Yard.'. It is fitted with a single rather than double candle-slides.
Despite the difference between the depth of the top section and the depth of the top of the base, they would appear to belong together, with matching veneer and construction throughout.