This chair is covered in 18th century needlework of blue and white porcelain. Delft vases, teapots, coffeepots and ewers are depicted within foliage frames, evoking Indian designs on the marble encrusted walls of Mogul palaces. Flasks and cups can be seen arranged in niches on the exterior red sandstone walls of the Kanch Mahal, Sikandra dating from the first quarter of the 17th century.
Similar needlework of blue and white pots on a red ground and within dividing compartments can be seen on a pair of George III chairs illustrated in L. Synge, Art of Embroidery, Woodbridge, 2001, p. 237, fig. 230. A pair of George II mahogany side chairs, also with similar needlework, was sold by Viscount Jocelyn, Christie's, London, 25 June 1987, lot 32.
This wing armchair formerly belonged to Nancy Lancaster (1897-1994). Born in Virginia, she had a huge influence on interior decoration in the 20th century, including the late John Fowler, and the style of decoration and furniture arranging that they developed together remains a strong force in English decorating. Kelmarsh Hall in Northamptonshire was her first major house in England, taken with her husband Ronald Tree for the hunting, while her last house was Haseley Court in Oxfordshire. This chair stood beside the chimneypiece in the Entrance Hall at Haseley and Nancy Lancaster covered it with needlework bought in London, the remainder of the needlework being used to cover a set of four side chairs used for playing Bridge.