Abraham Roentgen (1711-1793) learned cabinet making in his father's shop before settling in London in 1731. He was soon employed by English cabinet-makers who admired his interesting use of inlay, inventive mechanical fittings, and the hidden drawers he used in his furniture. In 1742 he established himself as a cabinet-maker in Herrnhaag and in 1750 moved to Neuwied where his shop expanded quickly. Abraham soon became known for furniture of outstanding quality created for the various German courts. One of the most important pieces he executed is the Walderdorffer bureau from circa 1765, which is now in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam.
The caddy, a courtly present of the period, proved something of a speciality during Roentgens work at Herrnhaag in the 1740s before the establishment of his Neuweid workshops. His caddies, now in American collections, are discussed by W. Koeppe, 'Kastchen aus der Werkstatt von Abraham Roentgen in Amerikanischen Sammlungen', Giessener Beitrage zur Kunstgeschichte, Vol. 10, pp. 98-107 (see also D. Fabian, Abraham und David Rooentgen, Bad Neustadt, 1996, pp.246-254). This box relates to brass-mounted furniture by John Channon, see C. Gilbert and T. Murdoch, John Channon and brass-inlaid furniture 1730-60, 1993, fig. 169).