John Belchier (d. 1753), possibly of Huguenot origin, worked from 'The Sun', his St. Paul's Church Yard premises for 36 years. One of his best known commissions was the furniture he supplied to Erddig, Denbighshire between 1722 and 1726. His label appears on several bureaux, including a similar kneehole desk of circa 1735, made from padouk and labelled in the central drawer (see C. Gilbert, Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture 1700-1840, Leeds, 1996, pp. 17 and 87, figs. 71-72).
A bureau-cabinet bearing Belchier's more detailed label, was sold anonymously, in these Rooms, 15 April 1999, lot 125.