This mirror, with its breakfronted temple-pediment with Roman acanthus clasp keystone, is designed in the 'antique' style promoted in George II's reign by James Gibbs in his Book of Architecture, 1728, and William Jones in his The Gentleman or Builder's Companion, 1739 (E. White, ed., The Pictorial Dictionary of British 18th Century Furniture Design, Suffolk, 1990, pp. 323-324, pls. 41-49). A related mirror, originally in the collection of The Lords Burnham, Hall Barn, Buckinghamshire, was sold anonymously in these Rooms, 18 October 2001, lot 123. Its overall architectural quality with its foliate-guilloche frame border also compares to molding patterns found in Batty Langley's Builder's Jewell or Youth's Instructor, 1741 (pl. 78).