This fine mahogany bureau bearing the label of John Pardoe is virtually identical to another bureau bearing his label, supplied on 3 March 1743 at a cost of £3 13s. 6d. which is illustrated in C. Gilbert, Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture 1700-1840, Leeds, 1996, p.365, fig. 713.
John Pardoe was active from 1717 until March 1748 when he announced in the Daily Advertiser that he had 'left off trade' and offered his stock for sale. Records show that he supplied furniture for some of the great British houses, including mirrors for Erddig, Denbigshire in 1717 and a several pieces for Lord Leigh of Stoneleigh Abbey, Warwickshire.