The large George II folding dining-table, with oval top supported on six columnar legs, is likely to have been commissioned in the late 1750s for Kedleston Hall by Sir Nathaniel Curzon, 5th Bt. (1726-1804), later 1st Baron Scarsdale. It was almost certainly one of the 'two circular Mahogany Dining Tables' listed in the Dining-Room in 1804 (Inventory of the Household Goods and Furniture in Kedleston House belonging to the Rt. Hon. Nath. Lord Scarsdale decd., December 1804, Kedleston Archives).
The columnar-turned legs terminating in what was called 'round toes' in the 18th Century (J. Kirk, American Furniture and the British Tradition to 1830, New York, 1982, p. 322), featured in a 1730s trade-sheet issued by Thomas Potter of High Holborn and continued to be used by firms such as Gillows into the reign of George III (C. Gilbert and T. Murdoch, John Channon and brass-inlaid furniture, London, 1993, fig. 11 and L. Boynton, Gillow Furniture Designs 1760-1800), Royston, 1995, fig. 3).