The triumphal-arched cabinet is designed in the George II antique or Roman fashion promoted by Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington (d.1742); and its handsome Tuscan architecture derives from a Venetian window pattern in B.Langleys, The City and Country Builders and Workmans Treasury of Designs, London, 1740, 2nd ed. 1745, (pl. L1). Its paired pilasters are antique fluted, as are those sunk in the angles of its chest-of-drawers, and those flanking the bureaus tabernacle compartment. The shell, the badge of the nature deity Venus, crowns the hollowed niche of the latters commode door; while shell-scallops enrich the bureaus pigeonhole cornices, and the chests serpentined truss feet.
The architecture of its triumphal cabinet relates to that of a George II bureau-cabinet, bearing the label of the fashionable London cabinet-maker Giles Grendey (d.1780), sold Christies London, 8 July 1999, lot 140; while that of the chest-of-drawers relates to a bureau-dressing table dated 1751 and bearing the signature of the Lancaster cabinet-maker David Wright (d.1766) (see J.F. Hayward English Desks and Bureaux in the Victoria & Albert Museum, London, 1968 fig 22).