This marble-topped sideboard-table, with Venus-shell cartouche and truss-scrolled columnar legs wrapped by Roman acanthus and terminating in Jupiter eagle-claws, is conceived in the George II Roman fashion and relates to a table pattern in W. Jones, The Gentleman or Builders Companion, 1739 (pl.27).
Fulbeck Hall is the historic seat of the Fane family of Lincolnshire. The family have been at the park for nearly four hundred years, when they succeeded in a reversion from the Rygge family and Sir Francis Fane inherited the hall in 1632. The Elizabethan Fulbeck was almost completely destroyed, apart from the rear service wing, by a disastrous fire in December 1731. Its proprietor at the time, Francis Fane III, rebuilt the house in the Palladian style between 1731 and 1733. He also added the entrance drive, completed by a very grand pair of wrought-iron gates with a gilded crest of the Fanes.
After the early Georgian period, the principal additions to the house were wrought by the Hon. Henry Fane and his wife in 1783. The collections of art and furniture at Fulbeck were, as one would expect, assembled from a wide variety of sources as generations of Fanes came and went, and reflect the changing tastes and interests of the family from the 17th century.