Edwin Stringer of Stourbridge is a recorded as a clockmaker, 1860-1876.
This magnificent clock-crowned cabinet, has French fashioned golden enrichments framing its commode doors triumphal-arched, mirrored and trellis-fretted tablets, while Apollo sunrayed tablets accompany the garlands that festoon the cut-cornered pilasters. It was possibly manufactured for one of the Chamber Barrel Organs executed by the celebrated Holborn manufacturer of organs, clocks and harpsichords George Pyke (d.1777), who was Organ Builder to George III, and esteemed the first mechanic in that branch of any in the Kingdom. George, who traded as Organ Builder and Clockmaker, was the son of the clockmaker John Pyke (d.1762); and his stock of clocks, machine and hand organs, etc., and musical instruments was sold by his widow at her Bedford Row mansion on the 23 March 1779. The cabinet's garlanded pilasters can be compared to the garlanded brass pillars of one of Pykes 1760s organ clocks with mirror-panelled pedestal, that was recorded in the mid l9th century possession of Sir Morton Peto (C. Gilbert, Furniture at Temple Newsam House and Lotherton Hall, Leeds, 1978, no.209). Floral garlands also embellish another of Pykes organ clocks, that was incorporated in a richly carved Chippendale mahogany case, and was formerly in collection of the Marquis of Anglesey (R. Ison, "The Mysterious Mr. Pyke", Antique Collector, May 1987, pp.118-119; and A.W.J.G. Ord-Hume, The English Chamber Organ, 1995). The present cabinets paired and arched panels can also be compared to those of an Ionic pilastered cabinet executed in 1759 for one of John Snetzlers organs (A. Barnes and M. Renshaw, The Life and Work of John Snetzler, London, 1994, p.49).