The husk-festooned tablet frame, with moulded cornice surmounted by a serpentined and flowered pediment, relates to a 'sconce' pattern of the 1720's by the architect James Gibbs (d.1754) preserved at the Ashmolean Museum (illustrated in T. Friedman, 'James Gibbs's Designs for Domestic Furniture', Leeds Calender, no. 71, 1972, pp. 19-25, fig. 6). With its serpentined apron, the mirror closely relates to a pair of mirrors displaying the Orlebar family coat-of-arms on a scrolled cartouche. The Orlebar mirrors or pier glasses formed part of the family furnishings at Hinwick House, Northamptonshire, and were later in the celebrated collection formed by Percival D. Griffiths at Sandridgebury, St. Albans. They were offered in these Rooms on 10 May 1939, lot 229.