A library-chair of this form, but with serpentined legs, was popularised as the 'author's chair' of the poet, John Gay (d. 1732), when it belonged to the architect George Godwin (d. 1888) (The Builder, 30 March 1878). The poet's chair has also been referred to as 'The Barnstaple Chair' (Illustrated London News, London, 1849, vol. 15, pt. 2, p. 284 and C. Graham, Ceremonial Chairs in Great Britain, Avon, 1994, p. 91, fig. 111). Another chair of the present pattern, but with hinged book-rest on the back, was formerly in the collection of The Earl of Buckingham, sold by his Executors, Sotheby's London, 25 October 1963, lot 138.