John Ellicott (1706-1772) introduced this elegant case style, whereby the door exposes only the circular area that tells the time, in circa 1755 however this earlier example employs an applied chapter ring. A closely related example by Ellicott with one-piece brass dial and filigree spandrels is illustrated in R.C.R. Barder, The Georgian Bracket Clock: 1714-1830, Woodbridge, Suffolk, 1993, pp. 86, pl. IV/2.