The elegant herm-legged table is designed for a bedroom apartment in the George III antique fashion of the 1770s, and framed by an etruscan-black border. Stems of Venus's sacred roses strew the spandrels of the top, which is ray-parquetried from a golden 'Roman' medallion displaying a love-trophy of rose sprigs.
Amongst the most celebrated cabinet-making firms producing such flowered marquetry was that of John Cobb (d. 1778), whose work is discussed in L. Wood, Catalogue of Commodes, London, 1994, no. 7).
However, such roses feature in the work of William Moore of Dublin (d. 1814) such as on a commode supplied to the 3rd Duke of Portland for Welbeck Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire in 1782 when Viceroy of Ireland (R. Jinks, 'William Moore's Work in Dublin', M.A. thesis submitted to The Cooper-Hewitt Museum and the Parsons School of Design, May 1992, fig. A).