This form of classical urn mounted with rams' heads and headed by a palmette in combination with pierced scrolling foliage appears in various designs executed by John Linnell in the 1770s. A closely related drawing dated 1776 and now in the Victoria and Albert Museum, London, is reproduced in H. Hayward, 'The Drawings of John Linnell in the Victoria and Albert Museum', Furniture History, 1969, fig. 117, and another similar mirror dated 1777 appears op. cit., fig. 122.
A closely related example is illustrated in G. Child, World Mirrors, 1990, plate 233.
This mirror once belonged to the legendary collection formed by Lucy and Walter Tower Rosen, founders of the Caramoor Center for Music and Arts, in Katonah, New York. A lawyer, businessman and philanthropist, Walter Tower Rosen purchased the estate of Caramoor in 1928 in order to build a summer home. Inveterate art collectors, music lovers and the center of a circle of artists and musicians, the Rosens frequently entertained their often famous guests - including the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, Tallulah Bankhead and director Max Reinhardt - during the 1930's with chamber concerts and operas in the Music Room. In 1945, after the death of their son in World War II, the Rosen's bequeathed the Caramoor estate as a center for music and art, where the house and collection remain on public view today.