This girandole mirror, with its poetic laurels and volute scrolls of Roman acanthus, relates to those described in 1764 as "2 elegant carved Girandoles with a large plate of Glass, and 3 lights in each to shew in the Glass, festoons and rop[e]s of husks falling from Different parts... all gilt in Burnished Gold", listed in an invoice sent to Sir Lawrence Dundas by the St. Martins Lane cabinet-maker William France (d. 1773). Supplied at a cost of £56 12s, these girandoles remain at Aske Hall, Yorkshire, in the collection of the Marquess of Zetland and are discussed in A. Coleridge, "Some Rococo cabinet-makers and Sir Lawrence Dundas", Apollo, September, 1967 p.217, fig.4. A larger pair of girandoles of this model, also supplied to Dundas but for the Front Ground Floor Room at Arlington Street, where they are illustrated n situ in Country Life in 1921, were supplied at a cost of £97 12s; these were sold from the collection of Ogden Phipps, Sotheby's New York, 19 October 2002, lot 75.
A very similar pair of girandoles was with Hotspur, Ltd., and are published in N. Goodison and R. Kern, Hotspur Eighty Years of Antique Dealing, London, 2004, pp. 232-33.