The elegantly serpentined commode, with its bouquet medallions, relates to a group of richly marquetried commodes dating from around 1770 and attributed to John Cobb (d. 1778) cabinet-maker to George III (discussed by Lucy Wood in Catalogue of Commodes, London, 1994, no. 7).
The commode bears a numbered label for Lambton Castle, Co. Durham, and this may have been applied at the time that a sale of the furnishings was prepared for the Earl of Durham, which took place at Messrs. Anderson and Garlands, 25 April - 5 May 1932. In the later 18th Century, Harraton Hall (later known as Lambton Castle) was the home of General John Lambton (d. 1794), who in 1763 had married Lady Susan Lyon. It was rebuilt around 1800, castellated in the 1820s and rebuilt in the middle of the 19th Century for George Lambton, 2nd Earl of Durham (d. 1879).