THE WILLIAMS FAMILY OF BRIDEHEAD, DORSET
Robert Williams (1735-1814) acquired the estates at Little Bredy, near Bridehead in 1797. He was an M.P. for Dorchester, a Director of the East India Company and a partner in Vere, Williams, Son, Moffat and Burgess (which later became Williams & Glyn). On his death in 1814 he had amassed a fortune worth over half a million pounds. His son, Robert II inherited the estate and employed Peter Frederick Robinson in 1831 to remodel the house in the Tudor style. However, despite the Tudor exterior, Robert II furnished the interior of the house with contemporary works of art and furniture including pieces by George Bullock. In the next generation Robert III (1811-1890) employed the architect Benjamin Ferrey to give the house a gothic air and had Gothic and Jacobean furniture specially designed for the interiors.
This table is listed in the late 19th century inventory of the contents of Bridehead, in "Lady Emily's Room", as "a mahogany octagon table banded". Lady Emily was the second wife of Robert Williams III, and the daughter of John, 8th Earl of Melville and 9th Earl of Leven.