The commode, with concealed chest-of-drawers, reflects the George III French style introduced in the 1760s, and its tripartite and column-cornered facade displays richly figured mahogany in French-fashioned hollow-cornered tablets. French taste is also reflected in the altar-hollowed capitals of its plinth-supported and hermed legs. The latters sunk and arch-headed tablets relate to those of a tripartite-fronted Chippendale dressing-table in the Lady Lever Art Gallery (A. Coleridge, Chippendale Furniture, London, 1968 fig. 165). The present commode also relates to a piano-concealing commode bearing the date 1777 (L. Wood, Catalogue of Commodes, Leeds, 1994 p.120).