The secretaire's brass-enriched and mirrored bookcase corresponds to that of a related rosewood secretaire, that was acquired by the Victoria and Albert Museum in 1944, and bears the trade-label adopted around 1800-1805 by John McLean & Son of Tottenham Court Road and Upper Marylebourne Street (C. Gilbert, Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture 1700-1840, Leeds, 1996, p. 315, fig. 596 and S. Redburn, 'John McLean and Son', Furniture History, 1978, pp.31-37. The same patterned brass trellis and inlay also featured on an early 19th Century lady's writing-table bearing the stamp of the Wardour Street dealers and retailers James Winter & Son (fl. 1823-1870) (C. Gilbert, op cit, p. 498, fig. 1025), sold anonymously, in these Roooms, 11 October 1990, lot 79).