The attribution to Royal cabinet-maker John Cobb (d.1778) of St. Martin's Lane is based on stylistic and constructional attributes. Most significantly, cedar-lined drawers and cedar concave quarter-fillets feature on a pair of black and gilt lacquer commodes attributed to Cobb which were supplied to the 4th Earl of Shaftesbury (d. 1771) for St Giles's House, Dorset and sold by the Earl of Shaftesbury, Christie's London, 11 November 1999, lot 100. The use of cedar to line the drawers would suggest this commode was made for storing clothes in a bedroom apartment. The commode's form, with its simple serpentine outlined apron and serpentine top on a straight sided case relates to several marquetry examples attributed to Cobb as discussed by Lucy Wood in her Catalogue of Commodes London, 1994, pp.88-97.
John Cobb (d. 1778) was the son-in-law of the renowned early 18th Century cabinet-maker Giles Grendey. In 175l he came into partnership with William Vile (d. 1767) and expanded four years later to absorb the neighbouring St. Martin's Lane premises of William Hallett (d. l78l). The latter had been employed at St. Giles's House in the 1740s and early 1750s. On the accession of George III, Vile and Cobb were granted a royal warrant in 176l to supply furniture to the Crown under the direction of the Master of the Great Wardrobe. Some of their most celebrated Royal commissions are discussed by Geoffrey Beard, 'Vile and Cobb, eighteenth-century London furniture makers', Antiques, June l990, pp. l394 -l405.