The arms are those of Conyers with Mathew in pretence for John Conyers Esq, of Copped Hall, Essex, who married in 1773 Julia Katherine Mathew, daughter of William Mathew of Antigua.
Its antique form, in the manner of a Roman 'triclinium' banqueting-couch, with reeded ends terminating in Ionic volutes, was almost certainly invented by James Wyatt (d.1813), the celebrated architect of London's Pantheon, whose Assembly Rooms provided a 'Winter Ranelagh'. In 1775 Wyatt provided designs for the aggrandisement of Copt (Copped) Hall, Essex, which John Conyers had inherited in that year. Wyatt also introduced the triclinium form of seat in one of his contemporary proposals for the furnishing of a room's window wall ( J. Fowler and J.Cornforth, English Decoration in the 18th Century, London, rev. ed., 1986, fig. 3)