Almost certainly recorded in the The Pink Wing, (Large Bedroom and Dressing Room) at Kenwood House as 'A Chippendale carved mahogany fire screen on pillar and claw stand (richly carved) - the screen is merely of old wall paper' in the 1910 Inventory, Volume 1, p.19, item 189.
William France records in his inventory of Kenwood dated 13th October 1796 'a mahog' claw screen square mount India paper & cotton cover' in the Reading Room at Kenwwod. He also records '2 mahogany pillar & claw screens, square mounts, India blind' in the Small Study Outer Library at Kenwood (Scone Palace Family Archive).
This handsome firescreen is designed in the Roman Etruscan fashion promoted by the architect Robert Adam (d.1796). With its baluster pillar issuing from an urn-capped and truss-scrolled tripod 'claw' that is wrapped by 'Venus' pearl-strings and Roman acanthus, it is likely to have been designed by Thomas Chippendale. A 1770s 'Chippendale' drawing at large for a related pearled and acanthus-wrapped 'claw' features in the archives at Harewood House, Yorkshire (Gilbert ibid.; fig. 467). In particular this screen relates to the pair of screens, also with pearled and acanthus-wrapped claws, supplied by the St. Martin's Lane firm of Thomas Chippendale Senior (d.1779) and inventoried in the Saloon in the 1779 Harewood inventory as '2 Fire Screen with Blue and Gold stands'. (The Chippendale Society, Catalogue of the Collections, 1999, no.23).
The underside is branded with the three Murray mullets which may have been used as an indentifying device for items at Kenwood House, London.
The Scone Palace Archive records that Thomas Chippendale supplied looking-glass plates for William Murray, 1st Earl of Mansfield at Kenwood House in 1769. The frames of which were made by William France to Robert Adam's design, see Christopher Gilbert The Life and Work of Thomas Chippendale, 1978, Vol 1., page 256.