This pole-screen, with its 'vase' pillar on an 'Apollo' palm-wrapped 'claw' terminating in flowered volutes, reflects the French antique fashion introduced by Henry Holland. This pole-screen may well be attributable to Messrs. Mayhew and Ince. There are extensive payments of over £1,100 to Mayhew and Ince by both the 4th and 5th Dukes of Bedford between 1767-97, principally following Holland's remodelling at Woburn, as well as for Bedford House and Clarges Street, London and Oakly. Amongst these, the largest bill for 1786, totalling '£402 19s 6d' for Library and Dining room furniture, is now missing.
A related leather-topped and galleried table is at Southill Park, Bedfordshire (G. Jackson-Stops, 'Southill Park', Country Life, 28 April 1994, p. 66, fig. 9), which may well have been originally supplied by Mayhew and Ince to Viscount Torrington, while a quadripartite pedestal table with gilt-enriched base, clearly by the same hand, remains at Woburn (see 'The Racing Room', Woburn Abbey, Guide Book, 1987). Other related tables were also supplied to another Mayhew and Ince client, Earl Spencer at Althorp.
A related base featured on a pedestal writing-table sold anonymously at Christie's London, 22 April 2004, lot 129.