The Whitehurst clock and barometer business was established in 1736 in Derby by the renowned maker John Whitehurst (1713-1788). The business was continued by his fourteen year old nephew, also John (1761-1834), when the elder moved to London in 1775. The business prospered under John and was chiefly known for its fine wheel barometers. In 1810 he went into partnership with his son, also John, who continued the business until 1855.
An almost identical barometer was sold, Christie's London, The Legend of Dick Turpin, part 1, 9 March 2006, lot 111.