The large pictoral medallion framed by acanthus on a ground strewn with floral sprays and incorporating motifs based on antiquity feature on furniture supplied in the 1770's by fashionable London cabinet-makers such as John Cobb, Mayhew and Ince and John Linnell. A group of commodes executed in marquetry, attributed to John Cobb's St. Martin's Lane workshop based on his documented 1772 commission for Corsham Court, is discussed by Lucy Wood in her Catalogue of Commodes, London, 1995, no.7, pp. 90-97. Another side table with similar quarter-veneered borders centered by a medallion devise and flanked by flower sprays within line-bordered panels was sold Christie's London, 9 July 1998, lot 126.
The unusual elongated proportion of this table probably reflects that it was intended for a window pier such as the pair of card tables supplied by Linnell for the Drawing Room at Kedleston Hall (see H.Hayward and P. Kirkham, William and John Linnell, New York, 1980, vol.II, pp.142-143, figs.281-282).