A number of similar trays are known, the design for which appeared early in the 19th century, all retailed by the Royal Goldsmiths Rundell, Bridge and Rundell. The first recorded example is that made in 1802, bearing the maker's mark of Digby Scott and Benjamin Smith, and engraved with the arms of the 2nd Baron Lowther (later Earl of Lonsdale), sold in these Rooms, 19 February 1947, lot 154.
The Regency period was dominated by the retail firm of Rundell, Bridge and Rundell, Goldsmiths to the King and the Prince of Wales. Although John Bridge trained as a jeweller, he was also astute in business and quick to take advantage of the growing prosperity in the early years of the 19th century. Added to which, the nation's military and naval successes led to many celebratory commissions. Bridge employed the best artists and designers including John Flaxman and Edward Hodges Bailey and it was their designs, many of which were for monumental pieces in the Roman and Egyptian styles, which led to their position as the pre-eminence supplies of all manner of wrought silver and gold work.