THE PROPERTY OF A GENTLEMAN
A GEORGE III SILVER SALVER
maker's mark of Ebenezer Coker, London, 1766
Shaped-circular and on four claw and ball feet, the border chased with shells and scrolls and with gadrooned rim, engraved with a coat-of-arms within Rococo cartouche and with presentation inscription - marked on reverse - 11¾in. (30cm.) diam.
The arms are those of Davenport for Sir Thomas Davenport Knt. (d.1785) of Hendon, Middlesex and The Inner Temple was the sixth son of Davis Davenport (b.1696) and his wife Penelope (d.1737), daughter and and sole heir of John Ward of Capesthorne. Sir Thomas was Serjeant at Law and sometime M.P. for Newton, Lancashire.
The inscription reads 'To Thomas Davenport Esq. Barrister at Law, This waiter is presented by Arthur Beardmore, As a small token of gratitude, For pleading his Cause and that of his Clerk David Meredith, Against the Earl of Halifax then Secretary of State For false Imprisonment under his Warrent, Commonly called a Secretary of State's Warrant,
That Canker of, English Liberty, MDCCLXVI