A GEORGE III SILVER SIX-LIGHT CANDELABRUM CENTREPIECE
MARK OF PAUL STORR, LONDON, 1818, RETAILED BY RUNDELL, BRIDGE AND RUNDELL
On shaped triangular plinth and three shell, scroll and acanthus feet, the base applied with acanthus foliage and with acanthus baluster stem, with six detachable leaf-capped scroll branches, each terminating in a socket with detachable nozzle, with flame finial, the base applied three times with a coat-of-arms, the nozzles engraved with two crests, marked under base, on detachable decoration and arms, stem, branches, and nozzles, the finial apparently unmarked, further stamped 'RUNDELL BRIDGE ET RUNDELL AURIFICES REGIS ET PRINCIPIS WALLIæ REGENTIS'
28¼ in. (72 cm.) high
395 oz. 10 dwt. (12,300 gr.)
The arms are those of Portman quartering Berkeley, impaling Hulse quartering Lethieullier for Edward Berkeley Portman Esq. (1771-1823) and his second wife Mary (d.1852), daughter of Sir Edward Hulse, 3rd Bt. (1744-1816), whom he married in 1816. On Mr. Portman's death, in Rome in 1823, his estates passed to the eldest son by his first marriage, Edward, who was later created Baron Portman in 1837, and Viscount Portman in 1873.