The arms are those of Pratt quartering Jeffreys with Molesworth in pretence, as borne by John, 2nd Earl Camden (1759-1840) and his wife Frances, daughter and heir of William Molesworth, whom he married in 1785. He succeeded to the title on the death of his father, Charles, 1st Earl Camden, in 1794, and the present lot forms part of an extensive service of plate commissioned from Paul Storr in that year. The service was presumably used for the second Earl's tenure as Lord Lieutenant of Ireland from 1795-1798. He was Secretary of State for War and the Colonies from 1804-1805, and Lord President of the Council, 1807-1812. He became a Knight of the Garter in 1799 and was created Marquess Camden in 1812.
Pieces from the Camden Service are in the Gibbons Collection, at the Lauren Rogers Library and Museum of Art, Laurel, Mississippi, the Jerusalem Museum and numerous private collections. A pair of wine coolers from this service is in the collection of the U.S. Department of State, Diplomatic Reception Rooms. Two other pairs of wine coolers from the Camden service sold in these Rooms, April 28, 1992, lot 205 and October 23, 2000, lot 360. A suite of four sauce tureens and four salt cellars sold in these Rooms, October 19, 2001, lot 239.
CAPTION: John Jeffreys, 2nd Earl Camden (1759-1840) by T. Lawrence, Courtesy of the National Gallery of Ireland, Dublin