The bookcase, with Roman acanthus-wrapped trusses and reeded pilasters, brass-trellised doors, and fine flame-figured mahogany veneer, formed part of the handsome 'antique' furnishings commissioned in 1823 by Thomas John Wynn, 2nd Baron Newborough (d. 1832), and supplied by Gillow and Co. of Oxford Street for his 'Study' at Glynllifon, Wales. With its central commode fitted with drawers, it is one of a pair of bookcases, originally upholstered with green silk behind the gold trellised grills, and invoiced in June 1823 as: -
'2 Mahogany bookcases, folding doors, green silk trellis, carved trusses, 9 ft high, projecting centre, 1 with drawers …£140'.
The pilaster pattern relates to that of bookcases supplied by Gillows for Mere, Cheshire in 1815, under the direction of the architect Lewis Wyatt (John Martin Robinson, 'Mere Hall', Country Life, 17 May 1990, p. 206, fig. 5).
The aggrandisement of the mansion at Glynllifon by the 2nd Baron Newborough provided the firm of Gillow & Co. of London and Lancaster with one of their major commissions in the early years of King George IV's reign and by 1824 their account had mounted to almost £5,000. Several items from Glynllifon were included in the sale in these Rooms 9 March 2000, lots 100-109, and the commission is discussed in greater detail in that catalogue.