The 89th Regiment of the Foot was raised in Ireland in September, 1793 by General William Crosbie. After a short campaign in The Netherlands, where they sustained heavy casualties, they returned to Ireland and there fought the Irish rebels at the Battle of Vinegar Hill. In 1801 the Regiment took part in the Egyptian Campaign against Napoleon's troops. It was here they received their battle honours; their crest became the Sphinx inscribed with Egypt. The 89th Regiment was then meant for service in Holland; however, their boat became shipwrecked on the way with few survivors. A renewed Regiment saw service in Argentina, South Africa, Ceylon, India and finally Java where they earned Battle Honours for their part in the capture of the Island of Java in 1811. A 2nd Battalion was raised in Ireland in 1803 and sent to Canada. Here the Regiment participated in many battles against the Americans, such as the Battle of Chrysler's Farm in 1813, which was a success for Canada. They were also involved in the capture of Forts Lewison, Black Rock and Buffalo. In 1814 the 89th Regiment lost 217 of 400 men in the Battle of Lundy's Lane, not far from Niagara Falls. For this they received a third Battle Honour. Following their service in Canada the Regiment went on to fight in the First Burmese War, where they received the Battle Honours of 'Ava' for their service there. It would have been at this point the Wine Cooler was commissioned for use by the Regiment.
In 1881 the Regiment was united with the 87th Regiment to become The Princess Victoria's Irish Fusiliers. On vesting day, the 1st July 1968, The Royal Irish Rangers were formed of three Irish Regiments, The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, The Royal Ulster Rifles and The Royal Irish Fusiliers. In 1992, the amalgamation of The Royal Irish Rangers and the Ulster Defense Regiment formed The Royal Irish Regimet.