This salver is one of a pair made for the 1st Duke of Cambridge, who like his brothers George IV, and the Dukes of York and Sussex, was an important patron of London goldsmiths. The Duke of Cambridge bought some of the most important pieces of silver at the Duke of York's auction in 1827, including one of the Shields of Achilles designed by John Flaxman, and a pair of mannerist-style ewers by Edward Farrell. Like his brothers, the Duke of Cambridge was instrumental in promoting antiquarian styles. For example, he commissioned John Bridge to execute reproductions of 17th-century German beakers that had been acquired by his brother, the Duke of York.
This salver is an example of the rococo revival style, reflecting a more massive and sculptural interpretation of 18th century prototypes. The engraved armorials are in the manner of Walter Jackson, whose workshop was employed by Rundell's, the Royal goldsmith, to engrave silver for numerous Royal patrons. The mate to this salver, dating to 1825, is illustrated in Michael Clayton, Christie's Pictorial History of English and American Silver, 1985, fig. 6, p. 287. Both salvers were sold at the estate auction of the Duke of Cambridge's son in 1904.