The ox-eye cup is a traditional form of drinking vessel, most often associated with the colleges of Oxford and Cambridge University. Examples are known at eight of the Oxford colleges as well as at Eton College and Winchester College. The earliest known example of this form is the Northampton cup of circa 1616, owned by the Company of Mercers, originally given to Trinity Hospital, Greenwich, by Thomas, Earl of Arundel.
Payne & Son of Oxford were founded in Wallingford in 1790. They opened their Oxford branch in 1889 and have traded from there to the present day.