Sir Archibald Edward Garrod, (1857-1936), was born in London and educated at Marlborough College and Christ Church, Oxford, before receiving medical training at St. Bartholomew's Hospital in London.
His work as a temporary colonel in the army medical service in Malta until 1918 earned him a C.M.G. in 1916 and a K.C.M.G. in 1918. On his return to St. Bartholomew's in 1919 he became director of a new medical unit, a position which he held for less then a year before accepting the role as regius professor of medicine at Oxford.